A SCHIZOPHRENIC who is believed to have stabbed his father to death before killing himself should not have been allowed out from a mental health unit.

An inquest into the death of respected orthopedic surgeon Adel Makar, 60, and his 26-year-old son Emet Makar ended on Monday, seven years after their bodies were discovered in a detached house in a quiet Westcliff Street.

Emet was found next to his father’s body at the house in Seldon Close on March 22, 2006 while he was on leave from a mental health unit.

Adel Makar, 60, had been stabbed twice in the back while Emet strangled himself with neck ties.

The inquest, held at Southend Court, heard that Emet – who had been supervised for mental health problems since 1999 and detained in 2005 – tried to smuggle a knife into the ward after a period of leave, just three months before his death, saying he wanted to attack another patient.

Yet just one week later, a risk assessment form into granting him another period of leave, didn’t flag up the incident.

The trust also didn’t have an address for where Emet would be staying on leave, despite him only being allowed out if he was staying with his father in Seldon Close.

Stephen Simblet, representing the Makar family, said during the inquest: “Nobody seemed to take responsibility for Emet on leave, there was nothing on the risk assessments to say there had been any previous incidents.”

The inquest heard Mr Makar senior had been cleaned and had his clothes changed after he was killed.

Det Insp Nicholas Hales, part of the investigating team, told the inquest: “There was no sign of any forced entry to the premises. There was no sign of any third party being involved.

“We didn’t find any signs of defence, or any violent struggle taking place.

“I believe we went to sufficient lengths to rule out the involvement of a third party.”

A jury of five men and five women found yesterday after a two day inquest, that Adel, a surgeon at the Oldchurch Hospital in Romford, and the Essex Nuffield private hospital in Brentwood, was unlawfully killed.

They found that Emet, who had been detained under mental health laws at the Orchard Unit in Luton after committing criminal damage, took his own life while the balance of his mind was disturbed.

They also said it was inappropriate he was granted leave and that it wasn’t safely managed by the then-Bedford and Luton Mental Health and Social Care Partnership.

That trust became part of the South Essex Partnership Trust – which manages mental health services in Southend, Basildon and Castle Point - in 2010.