A DEATH trial has heard how a man had been drinking before a noisy neighbour row ended with him dying later in hospital.

Prosecutors have alleged Garry Poore hit Ronald Mayne during the incident in February this year.

A Chelmsford Crown Court jury has heard how Mr Mayne was taken to hospital with a head injury after the late night row but he died a week later after his family were told doctors could do nothing to save him.

Poore told police he "went nuts" and ended up arguing with Mr Mayne over swearing and noise from his television.

But 75-year-old Poore said he never touched Mr Mayne and his death was an accident.

Poore is alleged to have punched or pushed Mr Mayne and he fell backwards hitting his head on the ground.

The court heard how Mr Mayne had been drinking before the incident.

Toxicology expert Mark Tyler told the jury how doctors took a blood sample from Mr Mayne about two hours after he was admitted to Basildon hospital.

The reading was 101mg which was 21mg above the legal limit for driving of 80mg, Mr Tyler told the jury.

He said a count back check was made to estimate what the level would have been at the time of the incident.

"My conclusion was that the level of intoxication at the time of the call to police at 1.08am was between 122 mg and 168mg with the most likely level at 145mg," Mr Tyler said.

He told the court this was an estimate as levels depended on the individual and the absorption time it takes alcohol to get into the bloodstream. This level of 145mg - more than one and a half times the legal limit for driving - would have led to "reduced inhibitions, slurred speech and nausia," Mr Tyler said.

Poore, from Stock Road, Billericay, denies a charge of manslaughter.

The trial has heard both men lived next door to each other on the Templeton caravan park in Bakers Lane, West Hanningfield.

Poore told police Mr Mayne suffered from Tourette's syndrome which meant he swore a lot.

Some people living on the site did not like him and Poore said he was one of them as Mr Mayne would call him "short arse" on account of his stature On the evening of February 26 this year, Mr Mayne was at home and Poore had been out with his family. Both men had been drinking although Poore told police he only had two large vodkas with water.

Poore returned home and shortly after midnight, he called police to complain about noise coming from Mr Mayne's caravan.

Officers arrived and Mr Mayne agreed to turn his television down before they left.

But around an hour later, police got another call from Poore complaining about more noise and he was told police would go round there again.

Befoe they arrived, the jury has heard how Poore left his home and confronted Mr Mayne.

Moments later, Poore claims Mr Mayne tripped and fell hitting his head on the ground.

*The trial continues.