HARRY Cardwell’s late header rescued a share of the spoils for Southend United at Aldershot Town tonight.

The Shrimpers seemed to be heading for defeat against their former manager Mark Molesley when Ryan Glover headed the hosts in front after just five minutes.

But Cardwell’s well-taken header, three minutes from time, ensured the game ended in a 1-1 draw at the EBB Stadium.

The Shrimpers went into the game on the back of three straight league wins but were forced into an attacking change with the in-form Matt Dennis missing out with a hamstring problem.

Noor Husin replaced the on loan Norwich City youngster for his first Shrimpers start and sent a deflected effort wide of the right post in the opening exchanges.

But, with five minutes on the clock, Aldershot hit back and broke the deadlock when a left wing cross from Brad Webb picked out Glover who darted in ahead of Nathan Ralph to send a six yard header into the right hand side of the net.

Moments later, Shots’ Jacob Berkeley-Agyepong fired over after bursting into the box and, despite enjoying spells of possession, the Shrimpers found it tough to carve open a well-organised Shots defence.

The frustrated Blues soon resorted to long range efforts with Harrison Neal firing wide of the left post from 25 yards before the visitors managed the first effort of the evening on target just before the break with Kacper Lopata heading Husin’s free-kick straight at Aldershot goalkeeper Mitch Walker.

At the start of the second half, an over-hit cross from Neal was tipped over by Waller before the on loan Sheffield United midfielder sent a left footed shot over the crossbar from long range.

Moments later, Sam Dalby curled a right footed shot over the crossbar from just inside the penalty area before Blues made their first change of the night on the hour mark with Matt Rush replacing Will Atkinson.

Aldershot threatened next with Glover firing over from long range before the Shrimpers replied with Cardwell seeing his mistimed header from Davies’ right wing cross easily saved by Walker.

In a further bid to improve, Blues boss Kevin Maher made his second change of the game in the 74th minute with Jason Demetriou replacing Davies on the right flank.

However, the Shrimpers still found it tough going to break down Aldershot’s resolute rear-guard with Neal soon sending another long range effort straight at Walker.

In a final throw of the dice, Maher brought on Nathan Ferguson in place of Husin and three minutes from time the midfielder delivered a fine left wing cross which Cardwell brilliantly nodded into the bottom right hand corner of the net to ensure Blues picked up a point with his first goal since signing last week.